The board for Ouija was initially made along with ‘planchette’ meaning a small plank which is believed to move around the board. The board itself is in the shape of a heart and had 2 castors below. These casters turned when a pencil was placed at the tip.
Since the messages assumed to be sent by the spirits were not easy to understand and took time to get written, other types of devices to communicate with the spirits began to evolve.
E .C. Reich who was a carpenter designed a better version of the Ouija wherein the alphabets were carved along a curve and numbers were inscribed in a straight line below. The words ‘yes’ and ‘no’ were etched at the corner bottom. The pencil was removed and a third castor was placed. This acted as a pointer and the planchette continued to move in order to indicate towards words and numbers.
By 1892, William Fuld started ‘Ouija Novelty Co’ which earned him in plenty. The death of Fuld in 1927 by falling off a Baltimore building added to the new sinister thoughts attached.
Communication with the good spirits is a known phenomenon from times before Christ. It gained popularity due to the claim of high success rate in communicating with the dead. The Ouija game is dangerous since the demons have an easy access to make an entry and end their misery by entering the souls of the very players involved, especially novices. There is no control on the kind of spirit that might make contact. This can cause serious psychic and paranormal experiences in the players.
More Articles :