Several people ask what is a fruit and what is a vegetable. There are many fruits and vegetables which cannot be categorized solely as a fruit or a vegetable. There has been a lot of argument about the watermelon too.
Watermelon is a member of the cucurbitaceous family, and so it can be classified as a vegetable.In the United States it is called a fregetable because it gets classified both as a vegetable and a fruit. The same goes for several other fruits that fall under this argument. However, under botanical terms, a watermelon is a fruit as it ripens from the seed ovary of the plant. Also, like the other members of its family like cucumbers and gourds, the watermelon is cleared off the soil once the harvest is over. Most people grow it like a vegetable, and harvest it like a vegetable. Therefore, it is also considered as a vegetable crop. It is referred to as a crop, and only vegetables and pulses are classified as crops.
When it comes to the culinary terms, the watermelon gets classified as a fruit and also used as snacks and in desserts. In some countries like China and India, the watermelon is used in cooking also.
Watermelon has several health benefits. It is very rich in Vitamin C. It is known to reduce several health risks like various kinds of cancer, and heart ailments. It also prevents heart attack. It is also known to be good for diabetic patients. It is low in sodium. So, a person can have any amount of watermelon they wish to have.
More Articles :
- Carbohydrates In Watermelon
- Does Watermelon Make You Fat ?
- History Of Watermelon
- How Much Sugar Is In Watermelon ?
- How To Make A Watermelon Smoothie ?
- How To Pick A Sweet Watermelon ?
- How To Plant Watermelon ?
- Is Watermelon A Fruit Or Vegetable ?
- Is Watermelon Good For You ?
- Is Watermelon Healthy ?
- Origin Of Watermelon
- Tips For Growing Watermelon
- Watermelon And Diabetes
- Watermelon Calories
- Watermelon Growing Problems
- Watermelon Growth
- Watermelon Nutritional Facts
- What Vitamins Are In Watermelon ?
- When Is A Watermelon Ripe ?
- When To Pick Watermelon ?