|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
Pneumonia can be caused either by bacteria or virus, or by inhaling mucus and chemicals. The meaning of the word pneumonia is inflammation of the lungs. Pneumonia can be differentiated by the types of bacteria which cause the disease. There are about 30 types of bacterial pneumonia, but are grouped as infective pneumonia and aspiration pneumonia. Aspiration pneumonia is caused when a person inhales vomit or harsh chemicals.
Streptococcus pneumoniae is the bacteria which causes infective pneumonia. Pneumococci and staphylococci can also cause bacterial pneumonia. A penumococcus bacterium causes the dreadful pneumonia called lobar pneumonia.
No matter what caused pneumonia, the lungs are affected because the air sacs in lungs are filled up with pus and mucus.
The patient is treated according to the severity of the disease. If it is a bacterial pneumonia, the doctor prescribes antibiotics like erythromycin augmentin and penicillin. Medication along with adequate rest and fluids are required to cure this infection.
Viral pneumonia cannot be treated with antibiotics, as they will not show any effect. It needs a lot of rest, and the patient has to drink more fluids to cure the viral infection. Fever and pain can be relieved with the over the counter drugs.
The time needed for pneumonia to get cured is dependent on the severity, general health and type of pneumonia. In case of a healthy person, he can recover in 2 to 3 weeks if the treatment is completed. Elder people take some more time to recover. However, the cough remains even after the pneumonia is cured.
Good diet, ample fluids, fresh air and adequate rest are the requisites to get cured along with proper medicines.
More Articles :
- Can You Die From Walking Pneumonia ?
- Difference Between Pneumonia And Bronchitis
- Elderly And Pneumonia
- How Is Pneumonia Spread ?
- How Is Pneumonia Transmitted ?
- How Long Does It Take To Cure Pneumonia ?
- How Long Does Pneumonia Last ?
- How Long Is Pneumonia Contagious ?
- How Often Do You Need A Pneumonia Vaccine ?
- What Are The Signs Symptoms Treatment And Medications Of Bronchial Pneumonia ?
- What Are The Symptoms Of Bronchial Pneumonia ?
- When Is Pneumonia No Longer Contagious ?
- Who Discovered Pneumonia ?