|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
Trichenella spiralis is transmitted from pigs to the human body wherever pork is eaten either raw or undercooked. Trichinosis is caused due to this type of bacteria which used to be very common in the North America. The history proves that trichinosis results from undercooked pork.
Sometimes, the pigs from this region used to get infected due to the feed that were given to them. These feeds contained garbage containing raw meat scraps. Eventually this reason was discovered and giving raw garbage to pigs was banned. This step helped in preventing trichinosis to a large extent. In most of the developed countries including America the ban on feeding raw garbage to animals like pigs, bear, wild boar, cougar, walrus and few other animals have resulted in trichinosis, but is a rare infection seen in humans. Nowadays, preventive measures like freezing pork and testing commercially sold swine for the bacteria has turned American pork extremely safe for consumption. Statistics says that during the period from 1997 to 2001 only 12 cases of Trichinosis each year were recorded.
Trichinosis in its milder form does not show any symptoms and the infection often becomes unnoticed. When the infection is not treated within the given time frame, it might lead to severe symptoms causing tissue destruction because the larvae reach various parts of the body from intestine and then finally the muscles. The severe symptoms that become noticeable are pain in the abdomen, nausea, vomiting accompanied with diarrhea, fever, headache, rashes, muscle spasm and other prominent signs of organ failure.
More Articles :