Being slim is considered fashionable. At least that is what is taught to us through magazines, television ads, movies and television shows. However, it is not necessary that a slim person is healthy. It goes without saying that being overly thin or overweight is not the ideal situation for a person. So when it comes down to deciding how much weight a person should lose, there are several factors that have to be taken into consideration.
People have different body shapes and sizes. Hence, what is considered good body weight for one person may not be the ideal body weight for another person. Being thin by consuming less than required food or being overweight due to overeating are two ends of the spectrum. Both are not good for the body and health. So a person has to take their body type into consideration before deciding on how much weight they should lose.
How Much Weight Should I Lose?
When a person starts with a healthy eating plan and regular exercise, initially the weight loss is extra. This is primarily due to the body losing fluids and glycogen. Thereafter, in a few weeks, the weight loss balances out. Typically, it is advisable to lose 1 to 2 kg each week. However, a person has to consider their Body Mass Index when contemplating how much weight they should lose.
People, who have a Body Mass Index of more than 30, should be looking to lose around 2 kg every week. Those that have a Body Mass Index between 25 and 30 should be looking to lose 1 kg every week. Once a healthy Body Mass Index is reached, it is usually difficult to lose weight. So the person will not notice any changes. Thereafter, the person has to maintain the healthy diet and exercise routine to ensure that the lost weight is not regained.
How is Body Mass Index Calculated?
The Body Mass Index or BMI is calculated taking into consideration the person’s current weight and dividing it by the person’s height. The weight has to be taken in kilograms and the height in meter2. For instance, a person, who weighs 78 kg and is 1.75 m tall, will have a BMI of 26.
A person, who has BMI of 18, is considered to be underweight, and should not be looking to lose weight. They should be looking to put on weight. The ideal BMI is between 18 and 24. BMI between 25 and 29 is said to be overweight; between 30 and 40 is obese; and if the BMI is more than 40, the person will be overly obese.
Before deciding on how much weight to lose, make sure that you calculate your Body Mass Index. This will give you a true reading of what BMI you should achieve and accordingly you should change your eating habits and do your exercise routine.
More Articles :
- 5 Reasons Why People Do Not Loose Weight
- 7 Ways To Add Years To Your Life
- 8 Food That Stains Teeth
- Best Time To Sleep For Skin
- Can Sleep Help Anxiety ?
- Could Your Lipstick Give You Lead Poisoning ?
- Do Expiration Dates Matter ?
- How Many Meal Should You Eat A Day ?
- How Much Weight Should I Lose ?
- How To Deal With Chronic Illness ?
- How To Deal With Depression ?
- Is Salt Really Bad For You ?
- Snacking Can Help You Keep A Healthy Weight
- Ten Worst Food For Your Health
- The Future Of Human Life Expectancy
- The Future Of Longevity
- The Germy Truth About Kissing
- Top Ways To Live Longer With Heart Disease
- Understanding The Aging Process
- Ways To Decrease Your Risk For Early Death
- What Are Important Nutrients For A Healthy Heart ?
- What Is The Safest Painkiller ?
- When Should You Not Exercise ?
- Why Walking After Eating Is Good For You ?
Kids Health: What’s The Right Weight For Me?
Ezine Articles: How Much Weight Should I Lose?