High blood pressure is medically termed as hypertension. In the US, it is estimated that one in three people has elevated blood pressure, as per the American Heart Association. There are many reasons for elevated blood pressure, and some of them include hereditary, poor diet, leading a sedentary life, and obesity.
Usually, when a person is diagnosed with elevated blood pressure, the doctor will prescribe medication to help lower it. However, these medications have several side effects and many people are wary of using them. The good news is that there are ways to lower your blood pressure without drugs. Some of these ways are described below.
If you are serious about lowering your blood pressure without using medication, then you will have to do exercise regularly. One of the main reasons for people getting elevated blood pressure is lack of exercise. It is best to do exercise thrice a week and it is recommended that the person do a cardio workout, such are brisk walking or riding a bicycle. As times goes by, the intensity of the workout can be increased by doing a more strenuous workout, like aerobic or working out on an elliptical machine.
The next thing to pay attention to is your diet. It is recommended that you eat a DASH diet, which stands for Dietary Approaches to Stop Hypertension diet. In this diet, a person has to consume fresh vegetables, fruits and lean proteins. It is believed that this diet can help a reduction in the blood pressure in just fourteen days. The diet should have seven to eight portions of grain each day, four to five portions of fruit, four to five portions of veggies, two to three portions of non-fat dairy products, two or less portions of lean meat and proteins, and finally four to five portions of nuts and legumes each week. This diet should be supported with regular exercise.
Usually, people suffering from elevated blood pressure are obese or overweight. Hence, the person should make an effort to lose weight. In order to achieve this, consult a nutritionist to chart out a diet plan for yourself. Set goals for your weight loss and consume healthy foods that promote weight loss. The person should avoid consuming foods that have high sugar content, oils and fats. In case the person is unable to achieve weight loss through this way, then it is advisable to stick to the DASH diet.
More Articles :
- A Guide To Lowering High Blood Pressure
- Best Way To Lower Your Blood Pressure Without Drugs
- Can Blood Pressure Medication Cause Cough ?
- Can High Blood Pressure Cause High Cholesterol ?
- Chinese Medicine For High Blood Pressure
- Dangers Of Alcohol And High Blood Pressure Medication
- Does Lower Blood Pressure Naturally Happen For Seniors ?
- Fast Ways To Lower Blood Pressure
- Fruits And Vegetables That Lower Blood Pressure
- How Much Green Tea Should You Drink To Lower Blood Pressure ?
- How Music Affects Blood Pressure ?
- Normal Blood Pressure While Sleeping
- Physical Symptoms Of High Blood Pressure
- The Causes And Consequences Of High Blood Pressure
- What Are Nutritional Supplements Cause High Blood Pressure ?
- What Is Normal Blood Pressure Range ?
- When Is Blood Pressure Considered Too Low ?