Many people have blood taken from their veins and also from a finger prick and it is quite common for them to feel a little pain at the site. However, this pain is invariably short lived. So, is it normal to feel pain in the arm days after the blood test?
It is not common to experience pain in the arm days after the blood test. Should this happen to you, it must be brought to the doctor's attention. However, there are several reasons for a person to experience pain in the arm days after the blood test is done. Some of the reasons are enumerated below.
One of the most common reasons for pain in the arm even days after the blood was extracted is hematoma. This occurs when the vein is punctured through and through with the needle leading to the blood to leaking into the surrounding tissue. This leaked blood forms a clot and this causes the pain. In addition, the area around the blood clot will may get inflamed, or turn blue or red. However, the good news is that the blood clot is re-absorbed by the body and with time the clot disappears. It will take around 5 to 7 days for a hematoma to disappear. However, if the hematoma gets infected, the pain in the arm will become worse and will require a course of antibiotics.
Another reason to experience pain days after the blood test is nerve injury. When the lab technician is extracting blood, the needle may injure a nerve that is close to the vein. In addition to the pain, the person will also experience some amount of tingling sensation and numbness in the affected arm. The good news is that nerve injuries during blood test are not serious and tend to heal. However, the healing process may take a few weeks or months and during that time the person will have to bear the pain.
More Articles :
- Blood Test Procedure For Diabetes Diagnosis
- Blood Test Results What They Mean
- Causes Of High Vitamin B12 In Blood Levels
- How Accurate Is Blood Test For Pregnancy ?
- How Long To Fast Before A Blood Test ?
- How To Read A Blood Test Report ?
- Is It Normal To Feel Pain In Arm Days After Blood Test ?
- The Characteristic Of Good Test Of Blood Sample
- What High Liver Enzyme In Blood Test May Indicate ?
- What Is High Neutrophils From Blood Test Result ?
- What To Do Before Blood Test ?
- Would Cancer Show Up In A Blood Test ?