Intra uterine devices or IUD is a common method of contraception. When the prescribed time period of the specific IUD terminates, the device should be removed from the body.
Medical removal is the only alternative as neither do IUDs fragment nor are they expelled from the body on their own. Apart from expiry of effective time period, other reasons for IUD removal could be desire for pregnancy, infection and unbearable side effects.
Mirena is an intra uterine device placed in the uterus with the intention of preventing pregnancy. The device is effective for a period of 5 years and the rate of success is almost 99 percent. It is recommended mostly after one child birth. Mirena containing the hormone leyonorgestrel, is known to aid in contraception by preventing the meeting of the sperm and egg, reducing the thickness of the uterine wall that in turn decreases the probability of implantation; and also by hampering the process of ovulation. Most women prefer mirena for contraception as the insertion is a relatively simple method and it keeps the risk of pregnancy off without hassles of condoms, spermicides or birth pills. Negative consequences of mirena include back pain, ovarian cysts, spotting, alteration in the menstrual cycle and no protection against sexually transmitted diseases.
Studies show that the rate of fertility is not harmed by the least on usage of mirena. The chances of future conception are not affected by this IUD and fertility reverts to normal after its removal. In fact, if the menstrual cycle comes back to normal, one can even conceive in the first month of removal itself. Not only are the chances of pregnancy sound after mirena removal but the term of pregnancy is also safe. However, the probability of pregnancy can be affected in cases where the device makes a hole in the uterus or burrows deep into the uterine wall. A surgical removal is the only remedy and at times hysterectomy might also be required. Such circumstances certainly have a repercussion on the fertility factor and the woman’s future probability of bearing a child.
There have been cases of women conceiving with the device inserted as well. Such pregnancies are mainly ectopic and do not last. Even in situations where normal pregnancy occurs while on mirena, there is always a risk of miscarriage, premature labor and fatality.
More Articles :
- Are Flu Like Symptoms A Sign Of Pregnancy ?
- Chances Of Pregnancy After Period
- Chinese Pregnancy Calendar
- Earliest Possible Signs Of Pregnancy
- How Early Can A Woman Take A Pregnancy Test ?
- Is Brown Discharge A Sign Of Pregnancy ?
- Is Flying Harmful During Pregnancy ?
- Pregnancy After Mirena Removal
- Pregnancy Chances By Age
- Pregnancy With Multiple Sclerosis
- Pyogenic Granuloma During Pregnancy
- Risk Of Pregnancy At Forty
- Shortness Of Breath During Pregnancy
- Swedish Bitters And Pregnancy
- Symptoms Of Pregnancy In The First Week
- Week Pregnancy Symptoms
- What Happens To The Body During After Pregnancy ?
- When Is The Best Time To Avoid Pregnancy ?