Statistics On Abuse Elderly

Statistics On Abuse Elderly

Abuse of the elderly is a sad truth of the modern society. When one looks at the statistics of elderly abuse, one cannot help but feel sorry for the prevailing state of affairs. Statistics related to Elderly abuse is collected by the National Center of Elder Abuse in the United States.

According to them, more than 30 percent of all nursing homes in America have some form of resident abuse existing. If this figure sounds alarming, then add to the fact that these are only the reported cases of abuse.

Furthermore, it is found that only 20 percent of elderly abuse is reported and the rest just goes unnoticed. 80 percent of the elderly people suffer in silence, out of fear of retaliation from the caregiver and becoming lonely in the absence of the caregiver.

Though these statistics already suggest what a lot of our elderly people are going through, the bad news is that the future is not going to see any reduction in the number of abuse cases. On the contrary they are estimated to increase.

The state of our beloved elders is beyond imagination and their safety and care is definitely under doubt, after seeing these figures. However, the only respite is that nursing home residents do have their own rights and when such rights get violated, the nursing home can be sued. Under those circumstances a nursing home abuse lawyer would be the best person to provide assistance. Though it may not heal the emotional scars that an elderly has been subjected to, it will at least reduce the financial losses suffered.

More Articles :

Statistics On Abuse Elderly