The endocrine system consists of hormones, and the glands (a group of cells) that produce and secrete those hormones. It is responsible for growth, metabolism, certain body processes and functioning of several other organs.
The endocrine and the nervous system work alongside each other in the areas of development, reproduction and homeostasis. Many endocrine glands and tissues are situated in the nervous system itself. For instance, the hypothalamus is an endocrine gland, and is actually a tiny cluster of brain cells. Also, the hypothalamus is the link between the pituitary gland and the brain.
One way the endocrine system affects the nervous system is by reducing pain with the release of endorphins.
The endocrine system controls the reproductive system. The hormones it sends out controls the reproductive system after puberty, and also controls fertility. It is very important to the reproductive system as it is responsible for sexual development. It regulates the menstrual cycle and ovulation in women. The posterior lobe of the pituitary gland secretes a hormone which is in charge of contractions while a woman is delivering a baby.
The endocrine system needs the circulatory system to transport more than 20 major hormones to various parts of the body. The heart rate and blood pressure is increased when the body is under stress thanks to adrenaline, which is produced by the adrenal glands.
Also, the corticosteroids produced by the adrenal glands adjust the water balance in the body. They also regulate the immune system.
The pineal gland regulates your sleep patterns.
More Articles :
- Body System Interactions With The Endocrine System
- Cool Facts About Endocrine System
- Could Brain Cavernoma Cause An Endocrine System Disease
- Endocrine System And Kids
- Endocrine Systems Overview
- How Are The Endocrine And Resporitory System Dependent ?
- How Do The Endocrine And Reproductive System Work Together ?
- How Endocrine System Affects Other Body Systems ?
- Muscles Used In The Endocrine System
- Natural Disorders Of The Endocrine System
- Relationship Of Endocrine Systems To Pregnancy
- Supporting The Endocrine System Naturally