Studies show that women are more prone to endocrine disorders than men. For example, thyroid diseases and osteoporosis affect women more than men. So, it is important for both men and women to look after their body for a proper functioning of these systems.
An easiest way to look after the health of the endocrine system is to eat nutritious meals and have a well balanced diet. One should incorporate adequate amount of calcium in the diet. Low estrogen levels compounded with low calcium in the diet will give a woman osteoporosis or a loss of bone density and bone strength.
Also, one must ensure a proper level of iodine in the diet. Lack of iodine causes the thyroid gland to become large, and this condition is called Goiter. Iodine enriched table salt helps to maintain proper iodine levels in the body. Maintaining an ideal body weight will prevent another common endocrine disorder, Type II Diabetes mellitus. When a person is overweight, then there is an inadequate functioning of the insulin in the body. The function of insulin is to make the cells and tissues in the body to use the energy produced by the food one consumes. So, when the action of insulin is inhibited, it throws off the perfect balance in the body.
One should take time to relax and enjoy eight hours of sleep everyday. Stress and lack of sleep may cause some of the glands to malfunction. One should be particularly careful if there is a family history of endocrine diseases as most are genetic.
On suspecting any symptoms, one should go to a doctor immediately and get tested. Early detection will save a lot of trouble later. When the condition is minor, it can be treated easily.
More Articles :
- Body System Interactions With The Endocrine System
- Cool Facts About Endocrine System
- Could Brain Cavernoma Cause An Endocrine System Disease
- Endocrine System And Kids
- Endocrine Systems Overview
- How Are The Endocrine And Resporitory System Dependent ?
- How Do The Endocrine And Reproductive System Work Together ?
- How Endocrine System Affects Other Body Systems ?
- Muscles Used In The Endocrine System
- Natural Disorders Of The Endocrine System
- Relationship Of Endocrine Systems To Pregnancy
- Supporting The Endocrine System Naturally