The general tendency of thinking is that men are not affected by stretch marks. But, the fact is that they are also prone to those ugly scars. Stretch marks are typically the resultant of the stretching of the skin faster than its ability to grow. The inner layer of the skin, the dermis becomes thinner as it keeps stretching and finally it tears off. The small tear offs make the blood vessels appearance apparent, as the affected area becomes pink or purple in color. When the dermis heals after some time, the stretch marks gain the color of the surrounding skin. Stretch marks are also known as striae.
Reasons of stretch marks among men:
- Due to the fast growth adolescence is associated with.
- Heavy workouts in gymnasiums, especially in athletes as their rigorous training build up the body mass greatly.
- A rapid change in weight that the skin cannot adapt as fast as the bodily change. This is the case with 70 percent of the pregnant women getting stretch marks.
- Sometimes, stretch marks are also formed due to a disorder that leads to the overproduction of corticosteroid. This hormone leads to rapid gain in weight and decreases the amount of collagen. Collagen is a protein necessary for the skin’s ability to stretch.
Treatment of men's stretch marks:
- It is advisable to consult a doctor as many cosmetic creams and products available in the market are known to be ineffective or with minimal results.
- You can use Tretinoin creams, which are used for acne are known to be effective for stretch marks.
- Laser treatment and dermabrasion by a cosmetic surgeon can be of good help in improving the skin color and texture.
More Articles :