Many people suffer from sensitive teeth wherein they feel slight twinges of pain or discomfort when they drink hot or cold liquids, when they eat sweets or when they inadvertently apply pressure on their teeth. There are basically two types of tooth sensitivity and they are dentinal sensitivity and pulpal sensitivity.How are Teeth Sensitive:
Dentinal sensitivity occurs when the dentin is exposed. Under normal circumstances, teeth are covered by a hard protective layer known as enamel while the roots of the teeth below the gumline are protected by a layer known as cementum. The dentin can get exposed due to various reasons like brushing too hard, bad oral hygiene, tooth decay, gum recession, using teeth whitening products or eating and drinking highly acidic foods and drinks.
Pulpal sensitivity occurs when the tooth's pulp is exposed. This type of sensitivity usually affects just a single tooth and can be caused due to tooth decay, infection, new filling, cracked or broken tooth and/or bruxism.
Usually people with sensitive teeth are advised to use high fluoride content toothpaste specially formulated for sensitive teeth. This toothpaste helps to form a protect layer of the teeth and reduces sensitivity. In addition, using fluoride mouthwash also helps.
People with sensitive teeth should maintain good oral hygiene by brushing, flossing and using fluoride mouthwash at least twice a day. Although the condition cannot be cured, it can be controlled by adopting these measures. In addition, they should avoid eating and drinking highly acidic foods and drinks so that further damage does not take place.
More Articles :
- Does Using Mouthwash Increase Tooth Sensitivity ?
- Does Vinegar Make Teeth Sensitive ?
- Fluoride Concentrate For Sensitive Teeth
- How Are Teeth Sensitive ?
- Sensitive Tooth After Crown Put On Tooth
- Tooth Sensitivity After Brushing With Baking Soda
- Tooth Sensitivity And Natural Cause
- Tooth Sensitivity With New Toothpaste Brand
- Tooth Splinting And Sensitivity
- Tooth Suddenly Cold Sensitive
- Where Can I Find Natural Toothpaste For Sensitive Teeth ?