The wisdom tooth is also called the third molar and it is the last tooth to emerge in the mouth. The emergence of the wisdom tooth usually occurs after a person crosses 16. In majority of people, there is insufficient space to accommodate the wisdom tooth and that is why the tooth does not erupt normally.
This causes the tooth to impact and the impaction can occur towards the adjacent molar or backwards into the jaw bone.
As the wisdom tooth does not emerge completely, it is often necessary to have the tooth surgically removed. Sometimes because of the way the tooth has impacted, it becomes necessary to remove some of the bone that is present around the crown of the tooth. In very rare cases, the tooth has to cut into two or three smaller pieces and then removed. Once the tooth is removed, the gum is put back with the aid of stitches.
Therefore, if you want to know how long does it take to have wisdom teeth extracted, no one can give you a definite answer. The time for the completion of the extraction depends on the type of impaction. For simple cases, the time to extract the wisdom tooth can be a few minutes, while for more difficult cases where the tooth needs to be cut into pieces, the time for the extraction can be anywhere from 20 minutes to 45 minutes. A rough estimate on the time taken to extract all four wisdom teeth where there is no complication is around 1 1/2 hours. Obviously, this time includes the anesthesia that has to be given to the patient.
More Articles :
- Can Tissue Grow Around Food After Wisdom Teeth Are Pulled ?
- Can You Die From Infected Wisdom Tooth ?
- Can You Pull Wisdom Tooth At Home ?
- Cost Estimates For Wisdom Teeth Removal
- How Long Does It Take Wisdom Teeth Extracted ?
- How Long To Leave Gauze In Mouth After Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
- Pre Op Guidelines For Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Sleeping After Upper Wisdom Tooth Pulled
- Teeth Shift Caused By Wisdom Teeth
- What Is Prescribed Pain Killer To Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
- What To Eat After Getting Your Wisdom Teeth Extracted ?
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction And Serious Complications
- Wisdom Tooth Removal Horrors