Wisdom tooth extraction is required when the wisdom tooth is impacted. In other words, the space in the jaw is not sufficient to facilitate the eruption of the tooth and as a result it may grow sideways into the adjacent molar, erupt partially or remain in the gum and bone.
This can cause an infection, pain, swelling or dental caries. That is why the dentist will recommend that you have the tooth pulled out.
When it comes to the upper wisdom tooth, it is quite possible that the root of the tooth is embedded in the sinus cavity and after the extraction to prevent infection in the sinus and the extraction site, you will be given advice on how to sleep.
Usually patients are advised to sleep upright for a few days after the upper wisdom tooth is pulled. This sleeping position facilitates healing and prevents any infection. In addition, sleeping upright prevents bleeding and promotes clot formation, and this is necessary for wound healing.
In case the root was not embedded in the sinus, you will be advised to sleep with your head elevated. Again the logic behind this is simple. Sleeping in an elevated position helps to stem the bleeding and facilitates clot formation.
These precautions are taken because there have been cases of people bleeding profusely in their sleep after upper wisdom tooth extraction. And in the worst case scenario, a person can die if the bleeding does not stop, which it should after a few hours with just a little bit of oozing for the first 24 hours.
More Articles :
- Can Tissue Grow Around Food After Wisdom Teeth Are Pulled ?
- Can You Die From Infected Wisdom Tooth ?
- Can You Pull Wisdom Tooth At Home ?
- Cost Estimates For Wisdom Teeth Removal
- How Long Does It Take Wisdom Teeth Extracted ?
- How Long To Leave Gauze In Mouth After Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
- Pre Op Guidelines For Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Sleeping After Upper Wisdom Tooth Pulled
- Teeth Shift Caused By Wisdom Teeth
- What Is Prescribed Pain Killer To Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
- What To Eat After Getting Your Wisdom Teeth Extracted ?
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction And Serious Complications
- Wisdom Tooth Removal Horrors