Wisdom teeth extraction is extremely painful and that is why patients are given anesthesia or IV sedation for the removal. Once the anesthesia or sedation wears off, the person can be in tremendous pain and to combat this pain, prescription painkillers are given.
The surgery is a major one and for a few hours post-surgery, the person will experience bleeding. The extraction site also is stitched using mostly self-dissolving sutures.
Eating can be difficult after the surgery not just because of the associated pain but also the stitches. One has to take care that the stitches are not disturbed and the site is kept clean. So, what can you eat after getting your wisdom teeth extracted?
The first 24 hours is extremely crucial as the clot in the wound should not be disturbed or dislodged. Therefore, you should be eating foods like yogurts, pudding, ice cream gelatin and broths. And eating is important because you have to take the prescription painkillers after that. Eating soft and liquid foods means no chewing and this will help you to cope with the pain and reduce the stress on your wound. In addition, the person has to drink a lot of fluids like water, milk and non-carbonated beverages. Drinking fluids keeps the body temperature normal and prevents constipation.
The following day when the pain has reduced a little bit, you can progress to something more substantial like scrambled eggs and bread, soups with vegetables, meat and noodles. Once the pain reduces substantially, you can start eating pasta and little chicken. However, always take care to chew from the other side and not the side where the tooth was extracted. In addition, you should gently rinse your mouth with water to dislodge any food particles that may get stuck at the surgery site.
Remember, eating is important as it will aid the healing process, but you should take things slowly until the sutures are removed or dissolved. Soft foods are the best after wisdom tooth removal.
More Articles :
- Can Tissue Grow Around Food After Wisdom Teeth Are Pulled ?
- Can You Die From Infected Wisdom Tooth ?
- Can You Pull Wisdom Tooth At Home ?
- Cost Estimates For Wisdom Teeth Removal
- How Long Does It Take Wisdom Teeth Extracted ?
- How Long To Leave Gauze In Mouth After Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
- Pre Op Guidelines For Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Sleeping After Upper Wisdom Tooth Pulled
- Teeth Shift Caused By Wisdom Teeth
- What Is Prescribed Pain Killer To Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
- What To Eat After Getting Your Wisdom Teeth Extracted ?
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction And Serious Complications
- Wisdom Tooth Removal Horrors