Bones break when they cannot withstand a sudden huge external pressure exerted on them. Bones are one form of connective tissues held together strongly by the bone cells and calcium content for binding. The blood cells are present in the marrow which is the softer central part.
Bones help in protecting the vulnerable organs and also assist in support and bodily movements.
Bone fractures are of various types and complexities. They depend on the direction of force, the exact bone that is involved in fracture, the person’s age, health and also the psychological determination to come back to normalcy soon. Some of the common fractures occur at the hip, ankle and wrist. Typically, these fractures take anywhere between 4 to 8 weeks for complete healing.
Some of the common symptoms of a bone fracture includes extreme pain, deformity, swelling, non-coordinated movements of that part of the body, inability to use certain limbs and bruising.
There are various types of bone fractures. Greenstick fracture, common among children, results in a small crack. In the case of comminute fracture, the bone shatters to small pieces and takes a long time to heal. Closed and open fractures determine whether the bone has pierced through the skin. Pathological fracture occurs due to the brittleness and weakening of bones with age. Compression fracture occurs if two bones force against each other and break (e.g. vertebrae fracture).
The bone fractures may be diagnosed by X-rays, MRI scans and CT scans. Complications of bone fracture may result in blood loss, organ injuries or growth problems after breaking.
More Articles :
- Broken Bones In Cast
- Can Wrist Bones Be Broken With No Swelling ?
- Do Walking Casts Help Broken Bones Heal ?
- Elderly Broken Bones And Fear Of Emotional Trauma Physical Therapy
- How Bones Are Broken ?
- Hyperbaric Therapy For Broken Bones
- The Result Of Broken Bones To The Elderly
- Tips For Relieving Swelling And Splints And Broken Bones
- What Foods Help With Broken Bones ?
- What Helps Broken Bones Heal Faster ?
- What Helps Broken Collar Bones Heal Faster ?
- Important Nutrition For Broken Bones
- Signs And Symptoms Of Broken Bones
- Why Do Broken Bones Hurt ?