Cholesterol is vital for certain important functions in the human body. However, excess of cholesterol can cause serious health disorders and increases the risk of heart diseases and stroke.
LDL cholesterol level, which is bad for health, can be controlled by slightly changing the eating habits and the lifestyle choices. In addition, regular physical exercise and a healthy and balanced diet regimen can help in lowering cholesterol levels naturally. Prescription drugs called statin drugs do help in lowering cholesterol levels but it is always better to adopt a natural way of maintaining blood cholesterol under control.
Some of the foods that help in lowering cholesterol include the following:
- Vegetables: Beans, pumpkin, shitake mushrooms, onions, tomato, eggplant, ginger and collard greens
- Fruits: Apples, blueberries, cranberries and grapes
- Nuts and seeds: Cinnamon, flaxseeds, almonds, walnuts and pumpkin seeds
- Others: Brown rice, garlic, soy products, oats, dark chocolate, black tea, green tea, olives, fenugreek, artichokes, turmeric and peanut butter not containing hydrogenated or partially hydrogenated oils
- Non-vegetarian food: Salmon
- Oil: Extra-virgin coconut oil and extra-virgin olive oil
More Articles :