The normal level of sodium in our blood is between 135 to 145 mEq/L (meaning milliEquivalent/ Liter) or say in international terminology 135 to 145 mmol/L (meaning millimoles/Liter). The results can vary a bit between the different laboratories.
The condition where the blood has low sodium levels is termed as hyponatremia. Hyponatremia shows up through many symptoms that are related to the functions of the muscles, the nerves and the brain triggers since sodium is needed for the right functioning of these systems in a human body. Some of the common known symptoms of hyponatremia are:
- Confusion and Bewilderment - These are the common signs suggesting the low level of sodium in the blood. These symptoms can be attributed to the fact that sodium is required for various chemical reactions happening in the brain.
- Lethargy and Fatigue - Due to the low level of sodium within the brain, lethargy and fatigue is also witnessed.
- Nausea - Another symptom due to low level of sodium is nausea.
- Cramps and Twitching of the Muscles - Sodium has a great influence on the functions of the muscles and hence, having it in lower quantities can result in the cramping and twitching of the muscles.
- Seizures - Severe twitching of the muscles due to the poor levels of sodium in the blood can also result in seizures and can lead up to coma. The possibility of such consequences increase as the level of sodium keeps going down to the extent that water begins to seep in through the brain cells. A condition called as cerebral edema occurs when water enters into the brain cells, making them to swell. This condition is potentially dangerous since the brain is restricted within the skull with no room to expand and as the pressure goes on increasing, it damages the brain.
More Articles :
- Effects Of Elevated Sodium
- Foods High In Sodium
- How Much Sodium In One Day ?
- Interesting Facts About Sodium
- Low Blood Sodium Symptoms
- Low Sodium Side Effects
- Signs Of Sodium Deficiencies
- What Causes Low Sodium ? In The Human Body ?
- What Causes Low Sodium ?
- What Foods Contain Low Sodium ?
- Where Is Sodium Found ?