Ovarian Cancer Warning Signs
Invariably the symptoms of ovarian cancer appear at the late stages of the disease and the prognosis is quite poor. This would explain why many health experts refer to this disease as the silent killer.
According to the American Cancer Society, just 20 percent of ovarian cancers are diagnosed early. In fact, ovarian cancer is responsible for maximum number of deaths among women compared to any other cancer of the reproductive system.
Many of the symptoms of ovarian cancer are similar to those of gastrointestinal disorder. This might be one of the main reasons why women tend to overlook these symptoms. However, if women are aware of ovarian cancer warning signs, they can immediately visit a doctor and undergo all the necessary tests to ensure early diagnosis, which has a profound effect on the survival rate.
This type of cancer can affect either both the ovaries or just one. Remember, it is difficult to get a diagnosis as usually the tumors are not visible during the early stages. Prognosis depends on the stage at which the ovarian cancer has been diagnosed and the overall health of the woman.
Here are some ovarian cancer warning signs that you should pay heed to:
- If you are suffering from problems like gas, flatulence, nausea, indigestion or changes in the bowel movements, you should immediately consult your doctor.
- Abdominal bloating is a common precursor to ovarian cancer. Many women take this symptom as a sign of digestive system disorder. However, you should not be complacent if you suffer from abdominal swelling or bloating. Immediately visit your doctor for an examination.
- If you still do not get relief after visiting your doctor, insist on advanced tests. Simple gastrointestinal problems should disappear after a couple of days with due medication and proper diet.
- If you suffer from pain during intercourse, it could be warning sign. However, some women also experience pain when there is insufficient lubrication.
- Most women with ovarian cancer suffer from lower back pain.
- If you are getting excessive vaginal discharge or you notice vaginal bleeding, it is best to consult a doctor.
- If fatigue follows fever, and you tend to get fever often, you should not neglect this system.
- Urinary problems like burning, spasms or urgency are another sign of ovarian cancer.
- If you notice sudden weight loss or weight gain for no reason whatsoever, you should consult your doctor.
- Some women tend to have difficult breathing, which is a sign of ovarian cancer.
- Constant and nagging pelvic pain and discomfort is another sign of the disease.
- If your menstrual cycle changes for no reason, make sure you visit a doctor immediately.
If there is a family history of breast cancer or ovarian cancer, then you are in the high risk category. Make sure you have regular checkups for ovarian cancer and if you have any of the above mentioned systems, you should not neglect them. At the same time, having any of the above mentioned symptoms is not a sure sign of ovarian cancer, but it is best to consult a doctor.