Stomach Ulcer Home RemediesStomach ulcers, also known as peptic ulcers or gastric ulcers, are sores that develop in the lining of the stomach. Usually these ulcers are benign and only in rare cases do they turn malignant.
Stomach ulcers are caused due to hydrochloric acid present in the digestive juices. The acid ends up corroding parts of the mucosal lining of the stomach. Earlier researchers assumed that eating spicy food and undergoing a lot of stress caused ulcers in the stomach. However, now it is known that these ulcers are mainly caused due to bacterium known as Helicobacter pyroli. Other causes of ulcers in the stomach include drinking too much alcohol, smoking and using non-steroidal anti-inflammatory medications.
If a person suffers from stomach ulcers, he is usually prescribed antacid, acid blockers, proton pump inhibitors or cytoprotective agents. If the ulcers are caused due to bacterial infection, then the doctor will prescribe antibiotics. However, besides these measures, there are other remedies for treating stomach ulcers.
Some home remedies to treat stomach ulcers are as follows:
- Eating a banana is known to highly effective in combating the burning sensation that people experience. The banana not only neutralizes the hydrochloric acid in the digestive juices, it also forms a protective lining around the stomach.
- Drinking fresh carrot juice or cabbage juice is also known to alleviate the discomfort from stomach ulcers. You can also have spinach juice or beet juice with the same effect. These juices are also known to heal the open sores on the stomach lining.
- Fenugreek seeds and leaves can be brewed into a tea and drank. It forms a protective lining over the sores and aids in the healing of the ulcers.
- Drinking lime juice will help in the healing of the sores.
- Soak leaves of wood apple in water. Leave it overnight. Strain and drink the water. This will not only provide relief from the pain and discomfort, it also aids in the healing of the ulcers.
- Drink a glass of cold milk to help alleviate the pain and discomfort. Studies have shown that drinking raw goat milk not only helps with the symptoms of stomach ulcers, it also aids in healing the ulcers.