Vitamin C Overdose Symptoms

Vitamin C Overdose Symptoms

         Vitamin C, also known as ascorbic acid, is extremely important for the body. It helps in the secretion of hormones from the adrenal glands, enhances the absorption of iron and calcium in the body, boosts immunity, reduces cholesterol, improves gum and teeth health and prevents the onset of arteriosclerosis.

         People who have deficiency of Vitamin C suffer from loose teeth, easy bruising, hair loss, anemia, dry skin and delayed wound healing. So, these people are always recommended supplements of Vitamin C. However, what many people do not realize that Vitamin C overdose can actually be harmful for the body.

         The recommended daily dosage of Vitamin C for adult men is 90 mg, adult women is 75 mg and pregnant women, smokers and breastfeeding mothers should take around 100 to 135 mg of Vitamin C each day.

         The body does not have the ability to store this vitamin and it is flushed out of the body every 12 hours. Therefore, to get the daily requirement of Vitamin C, it is important to eat fruits like lemons, grapes, kiwi and guava; vegetables like cauliflower and spinach.

         As the body does not store Vitamin C, it is quite rare to have an overdose of the vitamin. However, people can get overdose symptoms of the vitamin because of its antioxidant properties. Some of the minor Vitamin C overdose symptoms are as follows:

  • Ulcers in the mouth
  • Flatulence
  • Nausea
  • Vomiting
  • Dizziness
  • Indigestion
  • Diarrhea
  • Skin rash
  • Headache
  • Fever
  • Cramps in the abdomen or foot
  • Strong smelling urine

 

         If you take more than 6000 mg per day of Vitamin C, you can kidney stones, suffer from deficiency of Vitamin B12, have a deficiency of copper, suffer from jaundice, get cavities in the teeth, suffer from iron poisoning, get severe backache, and also suffer from insomnia.

Vitamin C Overdose Symptoms