The treatments for sudden hearing loss are quite controversial, including the new treatments.
While treatments for sudden hearing loss include use of steroids, vasodilator, antiviral drugs, reducing salt intake and taking diuretics, it has been seen that in nearly 30 to 60 percent of patients, there is a spontaneous recovery of hearing without the use of treatment. And, the recovery usually happens within two weeks after sudden hearing loss occurs.
This would explain why doctors are still using anti-inflammatory therapy by giving steroids to people who are suffering from sudden hearing loss. The steroids are either given orally or intravenously for a duration of two weeks but 30 to 50 percent of the patients do not show any response to the treatment. That is new treatments for sudden hearing loss are being sought after.
New treatments for sudden hearing loss include giving intratympanic steroid injections especially to patients who do not respond to high dosage of steroids. It has been seen that by receiving these injections in the eardrum, the patients tend to show high recovery.
There are many new treatments for sudden hearing loss but their efficacy has yet to be proven. And one such treatment is the hyperbaric oxygen therapy. Usually this treatment is given in conjunction with medication and Polish researchers have found that increasing the oxygen concentration in the ear helps to stimulate the regeneration of ear cells and thus bringing back the hearing. In addition, this therapy does not seem to have any side effect. The only problem is that the person should immediately seek this treatment upon suffering from sudden hearing loss. But this study was conducted on a very small group of people so it is not possible to say that this therapy will help everyone who suffers from sudden hearing loss.
More Articles :
- Adjustment Disorder Due To Hearing Loss
- Can Conductive Hearing Loss Be Cured
- Conductive Hearing Loss And Treatments
- Home Test For Hearing Loss
- Hormonal Hearing Loss
- How Long Does Temporary Hearing Loss Last
- Is Conductive Hearing Loss A Disability
- New Treatments For Sudden Hearing Loss
- Physical Effects Of Hearing Loss
- Sudden Hearing Loss Causes And Symptoms Treatment
- Sudden Hearing Loss Causes
- Temporary Hearing Loss Causes
- Treatment For High Frequency Hearing Loss
- What Causes Conductive Hearing Loss
- What Is The Definition Of Hearing Loss