The human immune system is a network of organs, glands and tissues that work in coordination of each other to guards our body from foreign antigens such as bacteria, viruses and infection-causing micro-organisms.
The organs of our immune system are located throughout our body. Some of the main organs of immune system are:
Bone marrow: Bone marrow is a soft tissue that lies inside most of our bones. All the cells of human immune system originate from stem cells in the bone marrow. The bone marrow through the process of hematopoiesis produces B cell (B-lymphocytes), immature thymocytes, white blood cells, red blood cells and platelets. All these specialized cells plays vital role in identifying and wiping out foreign antigens.
Thymus: Thymus is an organ located in the upper anterior portion of the chest cavity just behind the breastbone. The main function of thymus is to produce mature T-lymphocytes or T cells. T-cells play an important role in adaptive immune system. Loss of thymus at an early stage of life through genetic mutation or surgical process results in severe immunodeficiency.
Spleen: The spleen is a flattened organ at the upper left of the abdomen. The spleen acts as an immunologic blood filter it filters blood and destroys old or damaged blood vessels. It is made up of B-lymphocytes (B-cells), T-lymphocytes (T-cells), macrophages, dendritic cells. The T-cells and B-cells identify the foreign particles and create antibodies against it.
Lymph nodes: Lymph nodes are small bean shaped organ located in the lymphatic vessels. The lymph nodes functions as an immunologic filter for the body. Lymph nodes are mostly composed of T-cells, B cells, dendritic cells and macrophages. When foreign antigens enter the lymph nodes either by circulation or by lymphatic vessels, these cells distinguish them as foreign antigens and respond accordingly.
More Articles :
- Effects Of Antibiotics On Immune System
- Facts About The Human Immune System
- How Does The Immune System Work With Other Systems ?
- How Is Exercise Beneficial To The Immune System ?
- How Much Does Enbrel Suppress The Immune System ?
- Immune System And Homeopathic Medicine Or Remedy
- Immune System For Kids
- Is Lowered Immune System A Sign Of Pregnancy ?
- Ways To Raise Immune System
- What Are The Major Functions Of The Immune Systems ?
- What Organs Make Up The Immune System ?
- Which Vitamins Build Immune Systems ?
- Why Does Aspirin Help Plants Immune Systems ?