Age discrimination in various facets of employment has existed in the United States. There are countless age discrimination cases pending in various district courts, high courts and the supreme courts in the US.
Existence of age-bias has also been justified by the findings of a survey that indicates that the US companies are at least 40 percent more likely to interview a young aspirant as against an older one.Hence, the government in an attempt to abolish age discrimination has passed several laws and acts and has directed severe legal implications on companies that discriminate on this basis.
Age bias is seen in all facets of employment like hiring, promotion, bonuses, arrears, career advancement, termination and firing. The younger and older aspirants are equally likely of being targeted because of their age. However, age bias is obvious in the case of senior candidates. In the hiring process, they are discriminated because of the general perception that older employees would be slower in their approach to work, may take frequent leave due to health related issues and may not be well-versed with the latest trends and developments. Younger candidates may find favor because of another reason. The reason being that the younger recruits can be paid lower compensation as per law. Moreover, the younger recruits can have a long term association with the company and the employer will be able to recover the amount spent on training them.
Even when a company is required to downsize, there are instances of mass termination of senior employees, usually aged 40 years or higher. Several cases of age discrimination have been filed on this particular reason alone.
More Articles :
- Age Discrimination In Employment Cases
- Age Discrimination In The Hiring Process
- Age Discrimination In The United States
- Age Discrimination In The Workplace
- Age Discrimination In Women
- Age Discrimination Wrongful Termination
- Damages For Age Discrimination
- Effects Of Age Discrimination
- Examples Of Age Discrimination
- Federal Law On Age Discrimination
- How To Avoid Age Discrimination ?
- How To Prevent Age Discrimination ?
- Types Of Age Discrimination
- What Constitutes Age Discrimination ?
- What Is Age Discrimination ?