Employment law has created waves in the present century which highlights issues related to rights of employees and prohibits any discrimination based on race, gender, nationality, religion and age. Under this law one more important issue relating to the dignity of the employee having special needs has been considered. These employees with disability, pregnancy or other so-called protected status must be dealt separately since they fall in the category of employee with special needs.
Special need status implies to a condition where the employee is given certain benefits, and the work atmosphere and surroundings are required to change and adapt themselves according to the needs of the person. This may include arrangements such as requirement of a lower desk in order to fit a wheelchair for an employee who is wheelchair bound. At times, these requirements are of temporary nature such as arrangements for an employee who is pregnant or in possession of any corrective device due to injury for a stipulated time period. In all such cases, the employers have the obligation to provide such facility to the employees as per the employment law.
Apart from the employment law, there are certain other laws that protect the needs of the special need workers. The Americans with Disabilities Act (ADA) of 2008 assists special needs workers with provision of a workplace that is modified and adapted according to their needs. In such a circumstance, the disabled person need not have to worry that they will be terminated or lose their job because of their disability.
Although there are laws to protect people with special needs, there are still instances when these people experience discrimination. If this happens, then the person can seek recourse from the court or EEOC. Also, the person will be protected against backlash for making the complaint.
More Articles :
- Age Discrimination In Employment Cases
- Discrimination Against Special Needs
- Discrimination Agianst Single Parents At Work
- Discrimination In Employment Posting
- Discrimination In The United States
- Discrimination In Us Immigration Policies
- Discrimination Of Religions
- Employment Discrimination Of Women
- Examples Of Prejudice Discrimination
- Examples Of Racial Discrimination
- Facts On Racial Discrimination
- History Of Racial Discrimination
- Hiv And Aids Discrimination
- Settlements In Discrimination Suits
- Types Of Discrimination