Discrimination among immigrants in the US has been prevailing since ages. The history beckons that almost all immigrants have been confronted with some sort of discrimination, and they have been asked to pick the most difficult and the least paid jobs. Not only this, the immigrants have always found it difficult to mingle well within the society.
In the early half of the 20th century, the Jews and Italian immigrants faced tremendous discrimination based on race, and in some cases, they were even subjected to violence. These people were considered as anti-Anglo and non-white. The minorities have been always victims of discrimination that supported anti-immigration. The policies were made in a way that favored people of the US alone. This anti-immigrant policy gained popularity because it supported the fact that people of the US were afraid of losing job to the new comers from various countries.
The worst affected are the people from Latin America. They have been victims of bias and race motivated crimes. California is known for its history of attacks on Latinos. Even the entire Southwest region of the US was well known for its anti-immigrant propagandas that created social and economic problems, and affected many people.
Another long outstanding discrimination is against the people of Asian Pacific origins. An act passed in the year 1882, known as the Chinese Exclusion Act, prohibited the entry of Chinese laborers inside the country. The fear was that these laborers would completely snatch all the jobs and also there was a feeling that this race will not be able to adapt to the American society. This act remained in place till 1943 after which it was finally abolished.
Even today, people from different parts of the world who come to the US are discriminated against for various reasons. In fact, discrimination is a part and parcel of present day US society, especially in the lower strata of the society.
More Articles :
- Age Discrimination In Employment Cases
- Discrimination Against Special Needs
- Discrimination Agianst Single Parents At Work
- Discrimination In Employment Posting
- Discrimination In The United States
- Discrimination In Us Immigration Policies
- Discrimination Of Religions
- Employment Discrimination Of Women
- Examples Of Prejudice Discrimination
- Examples Of Racial Discrimination
- Facts On Racial Discrimination
- History Of Racial Discrimination
- Hiv And Aids Discrimination
- Settlements In Discrimination Suits
- Types Of Discrimination