Age discrimination adversely affects the employee in many ways. If the age bias is encountered in the hiring stage, then it may lead to depression and low self-esteem, more so in the case of older employees.
The feeling of depression and helplessness will be further felt if they are not able to find any other job.Apart from taking a mental toll, the loss of job opportunities due to age bias also affects their financial status. Due to their diminishing income, they may no longer lead the kind of lifestyle they were used to. They would need to dispose off some of their asset. For older citizens with limited income, paying for healthcare may also become a problem. Moreover, after years of experience and hard-work, if they are rejected only on the basis of age, despite fulfilling all criteria, it sets in a feeling of unworthiness.
If this sort of discrimination is encountered in other aspects of employment like promotion or lack of career advancement opportunities, then it will affect the morale of the concerned employee. This can affect his/her productivity level and eventually the performance may get affected. There will also be a sense of hopelessness, because they will not be certain about their role or position in the organizational set-up for the future. If this situation is encountered by elderly people, then there will also be lack of confidence in applying for other jobs, because they may face the same situation in other companies as well.
If age bias is seen in the firing or termination process, it also can cause a lot of concern to the employee. Most times, this is unexpected and the employee will have to deal with a sudden loss of job. The employee will have to manage his finances and emotions till he/she finds a new job.
More Articles :
- Age Discrimination In Employment Cases
- Age Discrimination In The Hiring Process
- Age Discrimination In The United States
- Age Discrimination In The Workplace
- Age Discrimination In Women
- Age Discrimination Wrongful Termination
- Damages For Age Discrimination
- Effects Of Age Discrimination
- Examples Of Age Discrimination
- Federal Law On Age Discrimination
- How To Avoid Age Discrimination ?
- How To Prevent Age Discrimination ?
- Types Of Age Discrimination
- What Constitutes Age Discrimination ?
- What Is Age Discrimination ?