HIV and AIDS have consequences which result in development of negative attitude such as prejudice, abuse and mistreatment. People affected with HIV and AIDS are rejected by their respective family, friends and the society. They are ill-treated in health care and educational institutions. All this leads to psychological harm leading to negative impact in the successful treatment and examination. HIV and AIDS discrimination prevails globally. This discrimination also runs along with other common social stigma such as drug abuse and prostitution.
The social stigma and discrimination attached with AIDS harms not only the individual, but also the society and the nation as a whole. People affected with such illnesses refrain from being tested or treated. As a result, there is a possibility of running AIDS epidemics. Another important fact with HIV/AIDS is that since this disease is current, therefore there are some other stigmas attached to it. No one can forget the fear that had surfaced in the year 1980 regarding the spreading of epidemic. At that time there was very little knowledge about its ways of transmission which resulted in development of fear amongst people. It was thought that this disease is contagious. Due to this reason people affected with this illness remained confined at one place.
AIDS discrimination is not stationary, it keeps transforming over time relatively with infection levels. Knowledge about the disease and possible treatment methods are few other factors which affect the psychology of the people. However, over a period of time, the discrimination has lowered as compared to the initial phase. This is due to the spread of knowledge about the disease among the common people.
More Articles :
- Age Discrimination In Employment Cases
- Discrimination Against Special Needs
- Discrimination Agianst Single Parents At Work
- Discrimination In Employment Posting
- Discrimination In The United States
- Discrimination In Us Immigration Policies
- Discrimination Of Religions
- Employment Discrimination Of Women
- Examples Of Prejudice Discrimination
- Examples Of Racial Discrimination
- Facts On Racial Discrimination
- History Of Racial Discrimination
- Hiv And Aids Discrimination
- Settlements In Discrimination Suits
- Types Of Discrimination