While we may not be able to persuade the elderly in our household to stop driving, we can look different ways to increase their safety on the road, while they are driving.
To begin instead of just telling them that they are growing older and hence, they should not drive, we can make them do a self assessment test where they can do a check of their leg and general mobility, their visual ability, their head/neck flexibility etc.
Moving on we can try to enroll them for driving classes, where a self assessment of the driving skills is done and the class highlights 15 warning signals that indicate that a person should stop driving.
For some elderly people, hanging up the car keys signal the end of independence for them and that is the reason most of them are reluctant to do so. But there are a few safety tips which can be followed in order to avoid accidents while driving and they are as mentioned below:
- No use of radio or cell phone while driving
- Always wear seatbelts
- The car should be in good shape with tune ups done at regular intervals so that there are no faulty parts in the car
- While driving it is important to maintain proper distance between the cars in front and one’s car and also between the cars behind and one’s car.
- Always remember to keep headlights on while driving
One can also consider installation of safety devices and technical support systems in the car used by the elders, as these can compensate for the functional limitations that they may have and reduce the risk of accidents.
More Articles :
- Back Injury And Car Accident
- Car Accident And Aging
- Car Accident And Pregnancy
- Car Accident With Degenerative Disk Disease
- Deaths In Car Accident Statistics
- Teenagers And Car Accident Statistics
- Compare Elderly Driver And Teen Drivers Using Cell Phones
- Drivers Ed For Elderly
- Driving Services For The Elderly
- Elderly And Drivers And Safety And On And The And Road
- Elderly Drivers And Bioptic Glasses
- Elderly Driving Habits
- License Restrictions for Older Drivers
- Should Older Drivers Re take Driving Test ?