Dental implants are usually the first choice by dentists when it comes to replacing missing or severely decayed teeth. They can last a lifetime and not cause any problems. In fact, the success rate for dental implants is about 98 percent, which is pretty high. However, there is a tiny percentage of people who have complications due to dental implants.
Usually complications arising from dental implants are due to the implants not fusing properly with the existing bone, as the dentists would osseointegration has not occurred to the level they expected.
Some of the complications resulting from dental implants are as follows:
- Sometimes dental implant infection can set in. This can happen at the time of the implant surgery, or when the crown is being introduced. However, in most cases, it is usually because the patient has not maintained properly oral hygiene. The infection leads to swelling of the bone and the surrounding tissue, and this causes bone loss. In fact, one of the major reasons for implant rejection is infection.
- Sometimes, implants are surgically inserted in areas where the bone mass is insufficient to take on the implants. If this is the case, the implant will not integrate with the surrounding bone. The only solution for low bone mass is to have a bone graft done.
- Smokers are at a higher risk to facing dental implant rejection. This is primarily because smokers are more prone to gum disease, which leads to bone loss.
- Some dentists like to place the crown on the implant immediately after the surgery. However, this can cause the implant to get disturbed and proper osseointegration with the existing bone does not take place leading to implant rejection and failure.
- Even dental implant complications can occur when the patient's overall health is not in a good state. For instance, patients suffering from chronic high blood pressure or diabetes will face problems with bone growth. There will be poor blood supply to the jaw and this affects the growth of the bone around the implanted area.
More Articles :
- Alternative To Dental Implant
- Complaints About Dental Implants
- Dental Implants And Complications
- Dental Implants And Mri
- How Dental Implants Work ?
- How Much Do Dental Implants Cost ?
- How To Get Insurance To Pay For Dental Implants ?
- Tips For Finding Cheap Dental Implants
- Types Of Dental Implants
- What Are Dental Implants ?
- What Is New In Dental Implants ?