Osteoarthritis (OA) also known as degenerative joint disease is caused by wear and tear of cartilage that covers and acts as cushion inside joints and also lubricates the joints. Osteoarthritis commonly affects hips, feet, spine, knees and the large weight bearing joints such as hips and knees. As OA progresses, the effected joints appear large and there is low-grade inflammation in the joints.Comparison of Osteoarthritis Drugs:
Pain relief is the primary objective of osteoarthritis medication. Some of the drugs commonly prescribed for osteoarthritis treatment are Paracetamol or Acetaminophen celexocib( brand name Celebrex), Aspirin, Ibuprofen( brand name Motrin ), Nabumetone, Diclofenac(marketed as Volatren) and Narcotics.
- Celecoxib: Celecoxib (brand name celebrex) is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) used in the treatment of osteoarthritis and, rheumatoid arthritis and acute pain. Celebrex relieves pain just as well as other NSAIDS, but this drug also comes with high risk of heart attacks.
- Paracetemol or Acetaminophen: Paracetemol is effective in relieving mild pain and is commonly used to treat the pain arising from osteoarthritis. Although unlike NSAIDS (non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drugs), acetaminophen does not treat the inflammation.
- Aspirin oral: This medication is used to reduce fever, cold/flu, and relieve minor to moderate pain from conditions such as muscle aches, toothaches, and headaches. It may also be used to reduce inflammation and swelling in conditions like osteoarthritis and other joint diseases. Aspirin is known as salicylate and a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) that works by blocking a certain natural substance in your body to reduce pain and swellings.
- Ibuprofen: Ibuprofen marketed by the name Motrin is a non-steroidal, anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID), which relieves pain and swelling (Inflammation). It is used in combination with paracetemol to treat mild to moderate osteoarthritis of knee or hip
- Diclofenac: Diclofenac marketed as Volatren is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) is taken to reduce inflammation and analgesic pain causing due to osteoarthritis.
- Narcotics: For moderate to severe pain, narcotic pain reliever such as tramadol, and eventually opoids ( hydrocodone, oxycodone, or morphine) may be necessary.
- Nabumetone: Nabumetone is a non-steroidal anti-inflammatory drug (NSAID) of aryalkanoic acid family. It is available under numerous brand names such as Relafen, relifex and gambaran. It is used to treat pain or inflammation caused by osteoarthritis and other joint disease. Nabumetone works by reducing the effects of hormones that cause pain and inflammation.
More Articles :
- Causes And Prevention Of Osteoarthritis
- Exercise During Osteoarthritis Flare Up
- Food That Triggers Osteoarthritis
- How Does Osteoarthritis Differ From Rheumatoid Arthritis ?
- Osteoarthritis Symptoms
- Comparison Of Osteoarthritis Drugs
- Facts About Musculoskeletal Joint Disease Of Osteoarthritis
- How To Treat Osteoarthritis In The Shoulder
- Osteoarthritis And Cartilage Regrowth
- Osteoarthritis And Overlying Work Injury
- Treating Osteoarthritis And Hypertension In A Patient