Hermit crabs are becoming popular pets for two reasons. One, they are relatively inexpensive to keep as pets; and second, they are pretty easy to keep. So, any person, who is looking for a different type of pet, but does not want to spend too much time or money taking care of the pet, can opt for hermit crabs. However, before getting a hermit crab as a pet, it is important to find out some hermit crab facts. This will equip you better on what to expect.
Here are some hermit crab facts that you ought to know:
- There are more than six hundred different species of hermit crabs, but just a very few are kept as pets.
- Hermit crabs kept as pets are usually land dwelling crabs.
- Land dwelling hermit crabs are actually born in seas and oceans before making their way to terra firma.
- Typical lifespan of a hermit crab as a pet is six to eight years, but some of them can live for around fifteen years under optimal conditions.
- While they are called hermit crabs, they are not true crabs, as they do not have a shell of their own.
- The largest hermit crab in the world is the coconut crab, scientifically known as Birgus latro. It is around forty centimeters (16 inches) in length and can weigh around 4.1 kg or 9 pounds.
- The smallest land dwelling hermit crab is the Ecuadorian land hermit crab, which has a length of about 12 mm.
- A hermit crab selects its shell based on the shape of its stomach (abdomen).
- The crab needs to keep changing its shell as it grows bigger.
- A hermit crab is very particular about the type of shell it occupies. It tends to like shells that are lined with mother of pearl.
- Hermit crabs are related to lobsters and spiders.
- These crabs drink water in a very unique way. They first dip their claws into the water and then transport the water to their mouth and gills.
- They are not very particular about what they eat as long as they get something to eat. Hermit crabs eat fresh vegetables and fruits, fish and meat too as pets.
- When a hermit crab molts, it sheds its exoskeleton, which it them consumes to regain the lost nutrients.
- Best type of shell for a hermit crab is a spiral one.
- While land dwelling hermit crabs do venture into water, it cannot stay for too long under the water, as it can end up drowning.
- Hermit crabs tend to become active during the night and stay within the shell during the day.
- Although they are called hermit crabs, it is a misnomer. These crabs are social creatures and love to be in company of other hermit crabs.
More Articles :
- Hermit Crab Facts
- Hermit Crabs Life Cycle
- How To Tell If Your Hermit Crab Is Pregnant ?
- What Do I Do When My Hermit Crab Is Molting ?
- What Do Hermit Crabs Like To Eat ?
Hermit Crab Center: 20 Hermit Crab Facts You Really Need To Know