Ants are one of the best examples of teamwork. The precision and accuracy with which they carry out functions has made man wonder for centuries. There are numerous ant species in the animal kingdom. They vary tremendously depending on their color and size. The smallest ones can be just two millimeters while the largest ones can be 25 millimeters big!
Their ability to adapt to different climatic conditions and habitats has made them hugely successful. You will find an ant species in deserts, rainforests, cold alpine trees, tropical and temperate climatic conditions. They travel around in colonies. The queen ant is in-charge. The worker and soldier ants have to follow her orders.
Listed below are the different types of ants:
- Army ants: They are primarily found in South America.
- Driver ants: These are found in Africa and together with the army ants, fall under the highly evolved ant species category.
- Honeypot ants: These species live in Australia, North America and Africa. They prefer living in hot dry climatic conditions. They are also eaten as delicacies in a few regions.
- Leafcutter ants: They are differently sized and consume fungus. They often travel in groups.
- Fire ants: These ants are poisonous. They have piperidine alkaloids stored in a sac like structure.
- Weaver ants: These ants are famous for building their nests on trees. They use leaves for the purpose. They attach different sized leaves along with the help of larvae that produce silk. It is used as a thread like structure for weaving different leaves together.
- Bulldog ants: These are found in Australia. They have just 1 chromosome making them highly primitive in the evolution cycle.
More Articles :