Lung conditions may be caused by a variety of conditions ranging from a severe cold to something more serious like asthma. Lung congestion is known as pulmonary edema which is a build-up of fluid in the spaces outside the blood vessels of the lungs. It is a common side-effect of heart disorders which frequently leads to heart failure.
Lung congestion can be chronic or might develop suddenly and could well become life threatening. Lung congestion is often the first indicator of heart disease. The condition impedes the exchange of gases and air between the blood moving through the vessels in the lungs and the lungs themselves. In so doing congestion makes it difficult for the lungs to expand.
Early symptoms of lung congestion are:
- Shortness of breath after physical exertion
- Difficulty in breathing on waking after sleep
- Difficulty in breathing only relieved by sitting up
Here are five simple remedies recommended in natural medicine:
- Inhale steam through a vaporizer or over a pan of boiling water. It will help to release the mucus that is plugging the passages and expectorate it.
- Bee balm is known to clear nasal passages and relieve congestion. Dissolve two teaspoons in a cup of boiling water and drink it when it has cooled.
- Soak a lemon in boiling water for five minutes. Halve it, squeeze the juice and mix it with a few teaspoons of honey, add cayenne pepper and drink the decoction.
- Mix a teaspoon of cayenne pepper in a glass of hot water and gargle your throat. The heat from the pepper tends to relieve congestion.
- Allow two tablespoons of thyme to soak in a cup of boiling water for about five minutes and drink the mixture.
More Articles :