|A B C D E F G H I J K L M N O P Q R S T U V W X Y Z|
Hydrogen peroxide is a chemical solution that is used in industries and even in some homes. It is mainly applied as a natural disinfectant or bleach. One of the main industrial uses for hydrogen peroxide is as a teeth whitener and cleaner. It has some powerful properties that can help kill germs and bacteria. It is very cheap and cost under $1 and is available in drug stores. Many people will hear natural remedies for insect bites that include making use of hydrogen peroxide; and they wonder can hydrogen peroxide help insect bites.
There are different kinds of hydrogen peroxide and they are classified depending on their strength. Drug stores usually see a very mild version of it. They may be less than 3 percent in chemical and the remaining 97 percent is water. Some other types, which are 22 percent or 35 percent strong, are sold only on order because they are not safe to be used at home. Higher strength hydrogen peroxide is used in household cleaners and chemicals or as a disinfectant. The purest form of hydrogen peroxide is very dangerous and should never be used on the body.
Hydrogen peroxide is used as a disinfectant because it has antimicrobial properties. It can kill bacteria very quickly and effectively. When bacteria comes in contact with hydrogen peroxide it oxides the outside of it. The bacteria have a membrane it protect itself. The perforating quality of hydrogen peroxide punches holes on this protective layer and destroys them. As a result the bacteria die instantly. The US FDA opines that hydrogen peroxide is a safe chemical for wound cleaning and for destroying bacteria. Hence, you can use it on insect bites. Many people claim that after applying hydrogen peroxide, the itching due to insect bite is significantly reduced.
Hydrogen peroxide is cheap to buy and it is advantageous from the cost aspect. However, it is an oxidizing agent in the end and could cause some damage to the wound. Nonetheless, this is okay considering the aftermath of a bacterial infection. The other benefits of using such a strong oxidant are that it closes the capillaries and slows down bleeding. Hydrogen peroxide also gives a stinging sensation to the skin. Some people find the smell very pungent. It is also a very reactive substances and it causes gas and bubbles due to this.
In order to prevent an infection, gauge the severity of the wound. Usually small insect bites do not need any treatment. They will appear normally and go away in some time. However, persistent scratching on the wound can lead to an infection. To prevent it, wash the wounded area and apply some diluted hydrogen peroxide, typically the strength you should be using is the 3 percent one. You can dilute the chemical by mixing equal quantities of hydrogen peroxide and water. After two minutes, wash off the peroxide with water and apply an antibiotic cream on the insect bite to avert possible infection.
More Articles :
- Can Hydrogen Peroxide Help Insect Bites ?
- Disease Caused By Insect Bites
- How To Stop Itch From Insect Bites ?
- Tips For Identifying Insect Bites And Stings
- Treating Insect Bites
Ask Dr. Sears: Insect Bites