A brain cavernoma is an abnormality of small blood vessels, namely capillaries. In this condition, the capillaries are enlarged and irregular in shape, and have very thin walls that make them susceptible to hemorrhage. In addition, these abnormal blood vessels do not have smooth muscles or elastic fibers that are responsible for making the capillaries elastic.
This is a genetic disorder, and majority of the people are born with the risk of the condition. This disorder has been linked to the seventh chromosome. However, this disorder is not cancerous in nature and does not spread to other parts of the body. A person can have a single brain cavernoma or multiple brain cavernomas.
Can a brain cavernoma cause an endocrine system disease? There is no evidence that this disorder can cause endocrine system disease. However, it has been noticed that pregnant women who have brain cavernomas tend to get seizures and/or hemorrhage. According to some researchers, this is primarily due to high estrogen levels that cause a change in the wall of the affected blood vessel, making the walls more susceptible to leakage. However, seizures can be controlled by anti-seizure medication which should be taken only in consultation with a doctor. If there is a hemorrhage, then surgical intervention will be necessary.
However, if the cavernoma is near or on the pituitary gland, it can cause problems with the functioning of the pituitary, which is part of the endocrine system. Therefore, hormones released by the pituitary will be affected adversely. So, on one hand there is no conclusive evidence to show that brain cavernoma in general causes an endocrine system disorder, but on the other, if the malformation is in the pituitary region of the brain, it can cause hormonal imbalance in the body.
More Articles :
- Body System Interactions With The Endocrine System
- Cool Facts About Endocrine System
- Could Brain Cavernoma Cause An Endocrine System Disease
- Endocrine System And Kids
- Endocrine Systems Overview
- How Are The Endocrine And Resporitory System Dependent ?
- How Do The Endocrine And Reproductive System Work Together ?
- How Endocrine System Affects Other Body Systems ?
- Muscles Used In The Endocrine System
- Natural Disorders Of The Endocrine System
- Relationship Of Endocrine Systems To Pregnancy
- Supporting The Endocrine System Naturally