Wisdom teeth are the last teeth to emerge in the mouth. They usually start erupting anytime from when the person turns 16. If the wisdom teeth are aligned properly and the gums are healthy, they do not have to be removed. However, in most people this does not happen and extraction becomes a necessity.
Wisdom teeth surgery is done when the teeth start growing sideways, emerge only partially from the gum or stay trapped under the gum and bone. In fact, impacted wisdom teeth can take any position in the bone as they try to find a way to erupt successfully.
Wisdom teeth surgery is nearly always performed under sedation or general anesthesia. A dental surgeon will inform you about the associated risks and give you certain pre op guidelines for wisdom teeth surgery.
Here are the pre op guidelines for wisdom teeth surgery:
- Do not eat or drink anything after midnight the night before the surgery.
- In case you have to take medication for some other health-related issue just before the surgery, you may do so but with small amount of water.
- It is important that you get a good night's rest before the surgery.
- Make sure you bring someone along with you for the surgery as you will not be able to drive back home.
- After the surgery due to sedation or anesthesia, you will be groggy and couple with that you will have to take pain medication which might cause drowsiness. Therefore, make arrangements to have someone stay with you at home.
- For the surgery wear loose fitting clothes and remove all makeup, necktie, contact lenses and false eyelashes.
- Make sure you empty your bladder immediately before the surgery.
More Articles :
- Can Tissue Grow Around Food After Wisdom Teeth Are Pulled ?
- Can You Die From Infected Wisdom Tooth ?
- Can You Pull Wisdom Tooth At Home ?
- Cost Estimates For Wisdom Teeth Removal
- How Long Does It Take Wisdom Teeth Extracted ?
- How Long To Leave Gauze In Mouth After Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
- Pre Op Guidelines For Wisdom Teeth Surgery
- Sleeping After Upper Wisdom Tooth Pulled
- Teeth Shift Caused By Wisdom Teeth
- What Is Prescribed Pain Killer To Wisdom Tooth Removal ?
- What To Eat After Getting Your Wisdom Teeth Extracted ?
- Wisdom Tooth Extraction And Serious Complications
- Wisdom Tooth Removal Horrors