Intestinal parasitic infections are considered to be the most common type of infection in the world. Through various studies that have been conducted, it comes out that a person's economic and social situation has a lot to do with the prevalence of intestinal parasites.
In addition, it has also been seen that the prevalence of intestinal parasite in school children is also high.
In the United States, intestinal parasitic infections have been controlled to a great extent due to modern sanitation system. However, of late, there seems to be surge in the number of infections occurring among school children. Scientists attribute to the increase in the number of migrants who come from countries where parasitic infections are common. Each year 600,000 migrants enter the US from these countries and many of the migrants are asymptomatic at the time of entry and that is why they are not screened for potential intestinal parasitic infections.
As a result prevalence of intestinal parasite in school children is increasing. In addition, certain areas in the US where poverty is high like along the border of Mexico, school children when tested had high prevalence of intestinal parasite. The following intestinal parasites are seen more commonly among school children in the United States:
- Giardiasis prevalence is around 3 to 13 percent. It is more commonly found in childcare centers and schools and transmission occurs through the fecal-oral route. In childcare centers, prevalence is around 20 to 50 percent, but nearly 20 percent of the children are asymptomatic.
- Ascaris is found in around 2 percent of school going children but health experts believe that the prevalence could be as high as 30 percent especially in rural areas located in the south.
More Articles :
- Can Salt Kill Parasite
- How Are Parasites Transmitted
- Itchy Ear And Parasites In Human
- Liver Disease And Parasitic Infections
- Parasites Between Toes
- Parasites In Tahiti
- Parasitic Infection Symptoms
- Pictures Of Human Worm Parasites
- Prevalence Of Intestinal Parasite In School Children
- Safe Parasite Clense While Breastfeeding
- Symptoms Of Internal Parasites In Humans
- Types Of Human Skin Parasites