Experts believe that most humans get tapeworms from eating undercooked or raw pork, beef, and freshwater fish. A person gets tapeworm when he eats the tapeworm eggs or larvae.
However, a person can also get tapeworm infection from eating or drinking contaminated food and water. This contamination occurs when the food or water is tainted by human or animal feces containing tapeworm eggs or larvae.
Usually a person having tapeworm infection will have no symptoms and that is why he will not know that he is having a tapeworm living in his body. However, sometimes there are symptoms of a tapeworm infection and they are as follows:
Symptoms of a Tapeworm Infection:
The most common symptom of a tapeworm infection is the presence of tapeworm segments in the stools. However, other symptoms can be present and they include:
- Abdominal pain
- Itching in the rectal region
- Weight Loss
- Inadequate absorption of nutrients
Sometimes, the tapeworm can leave the intestine and migrate to other parts of body forming cysts. This can cause tissue or organ damage and a person with invasive infection will suffer from fever, have cystic lumps, bacterial infections, suffer from neurological symptoms if the cyst is formed in the brain, and/or suffer from allergic reactions.
Any form of tapeworm infection should be properly treated and people can avoid reinfection by making sure that they wash their hands thoroughly after using the toilet. If they do not wash their hands, they will get reinfected by tapeworm eggs that are passed out in the stools.
More Articles :
- Are Tapeworms In Dogs Contagious To Humans
- How Beef Tapeworms Affect Humans
- How Common Is Tapeworm
- How Do I Know If My Dog Is Ok After A Tapeworm Treatment
- How Do Tapeworms Enter The Human Body
- How Long Tapeworm Stay In Dogs
- How Tapeworms Are Passed
- How Will My Dog Feel After A Tapeworm Treatment
- Killing Tapeworms Naturally
- Sushi And Fish Tapeworm
- The History Of A Tapeworm
- What Are The Symptoms Of A Tapeworm Infection
- What Do Tapeworms In Humans Look Like
- What To Do When Dog Has Tapeworms