Mild to fairly severe appendicitis can be treated with only antibiotics, minus any surgery. Many patients have found relief with the use of antibiotics alone, but there is no information on whether they suffered any long term side effects, or were faced with a similar problem again and if yes, how the appendicitis was handled when it appeared the second time.
A study on this topic was conducted in Sweden, and it brought forward some interesting findings. A total of 252 men in the age group 15 to 50, were randomized to only surgery or antibiotic treatment. The group did not include anybody with major complications that could lead to major perforation.
The patients on antibiotics were administered antibiotics for 2 days and then put on antibiotics orally for the next 10 days. About 12 percent of patients did not show any signs of improvement within a 24 hour period, and were sent for surgery immediately. The remaining 88 percent patients responded well to the antibiotic treatment, and their recovery was complete and without any surgical procedure, which proved that antibiotics were indeed effective in effectively treating mild to moderate appendicitis.
The bad news is that within the next 5 years, close to 24 percent of these patients were affected by appendicitis again and the second time round they had to be treated by way of surgery. The findings of this Swedish study suggest that if a patient wishes to postpone his surgery and if his appendicitis is somewhere between mild to moderate, he can be treated with antibiotics alone.
More Articles :
- Appendicitis Warning Signs
- Causes Of Appendicitis
- Early Appendicitis Symptoms
- How Do You Know If You Have Appendicitis ?
- How Long Does It Take For Appendix To Rupture Once Symtoms Of Appendicitis Begin ?
- How To Treat Appendicitis ?
- Managing Appendicitis
- Trends On Appendicitis
- What Does Appendicitis Feel Like ?