Age discrimination is quite common in hiring process. It is more often observed in the case of older applicants.
The older applicants are refused a job, solely on the basis of their age, despite their experience in the relevant field, performance record and other suitable qualifications.This is because of the common perception that older aspirants would be slower in their approach to work, may take frequent leave due to health related issues and may not be well-versed with the latest trends and developments. This apart, the younger recruits can be paid lower compensation as per law which can save employers capital. Moreover, the younger recruits can have a long term association with the company and the employer will be able to recover the amount spent on training them.
But, age bias is not limited to senior applicants alone, in the hiring process. Younger applicants are as likely to face an age-bias as the older candidates. Usually, the younger aspirants face bias in hiring process, for a job profile that requires an imposing and authoritative personality. Despite having the qualifications, work experience in the relevant field, an employer can decline to offer a job, because of the common perception that the age of the applicant may hinder him/her from commanding authority from other employees who may be older. Younger women tend to face extra-bias because of their age and gender. The employees do not favor young women candidates during hiring process because of the perception that she will have to take maternity leave after childbirth and in some cases, she may choose to quit, causing a potential loss of revenue to the employer, who would have invested in training her.
More Articles :
- Age Discrimination In Employment Cases
- Age Discrimination In The Hiring Process
- Age Discrimination In The United States
- Age Discrimination In The Workplace
- Age Discrimination In Women
- Age Discrimination Wrongful Termination
- Damages For Age Discrimination
- Effects Of Age Discrimination
- Examples Of Age Discrimination
- Federal Law On Age Discrimination
- How To Avoid Age Discrimination ?
- How To Prevent Age Discrimination ?
- Types Of Age Discrimination
- What Constitutes Age Discrimination ?
- What Is Age Discrimination ?