It has been found that most Americans aged 65 and above suffer from blindness due to a condition called ‘macular degeneration’. It is estimated that almost three million people in the US will suffer from loss of vision due to this condition by 2020.
This disorder which results due to degradation of the central part of the retina in the eye called ‘macula’ is incurable. Early detection, improvement in nutritional intake and better life-style can effect slowing down the progression of the disorder.
Regular check up of the retina with progression of age will bring out any damage in the initial stages which can be treated.
Some symptoms associated with this disorder are:
- Appearance of distorted or shadowy portions in the central vision.
- General difficulty in reading.
- Experiencing reduction of intensity of colors.
- Difficulty to undertake tasks like reading with low lights.
- Difficulty in recognizing faces.
Once contracted, this disorder can not be cured completely. One can work towards slowing the progression though by adopting measures like:
- Exercising: this reduces the risk of progression by almost 66%.
- Quitting smoking.
- Controlling high blood pressure.
- Eating nutritious food. This reduces the risk of the progression by almost 28%.
Findings released by the National Eye Institute in the year 2001 proposed that people detected with this disorder can be suggested to eat food with the nutritional value:
- Vitamin-C: 500 mg.
- Vitamin-E: 400 units.
- Beta-carotene: 15 mg.
- Zinc oxide: 80 mg.
This should be taken on the advice of the physician keeping in mind the supplements or medicines that an individual may already be consuming.
More Articles :
- Cause Of Macular Degeneration
- Early Symptoms Of Macular Degeneration
- Lutein Treatment For Macular Degeneration
- Macular Degeneration And Vitamins
- Macular Degeneration Cure
- Visual Aids For Macular Degeneration
- Age Related Macular Degeneration
- Macular Degeneration Supplements
- What Can I Do To Stop Macular Degeneration